Friday, November 5, 2010

Love Me Some Rio


This Tuesday was a very special day.
Election Day.
The first Tuesday in November, which is always full of crisp air, autumn leaves, and angry political debates.
For my family, election day also means that mom will be working all day at the polls.
AKA Dad is in charge of dinner.
(Yes I am living at home to save money before the wedding)
My Dad asked me what he should pick up for dinner and without having to think about it, I told him, “Café Rio!”
If you ever ask me what I want to eat there is a 95& chance I will say Café Rio.
I crave it ALL the time.
Anyways, my dad agreed and went off to pick up our dinner while I stayed home and graded my huge stack of American Heritage Papers.

About 30 minutes later I heard the garage door open and raced down the stairs to devour my beloved rio chicken salad.
To my dismay, I saw that my dad was carrying a Costa Vida bag,
My Dad saw the look of horror in my face and asked me what was wrong.
I told him he went to Costa Vida, not Café Rio.
The next words that came out of his both were absolutely blasphemous.
Children be warned, the following statement may be disturbing.
My own father said, “Who cares? They are the exact same thing!”

My father is a very wise man, but I must say that on this account his was abysmally wrong.
Café Rio and Costa Vida are not the same thing.
They may have the concept, but they are totally and completely different.
Different flavors, different service, different quality, different everything.
Café Rio has better flavors, better dressing, you get more for your money, and the people are way nicer.
It just all around superior in everyway.
I mean they melt cheese on the tortilla of your salad…what more could you ask for?
As hard as they may try, no one will ever be able to beat the original.
Anyways, all fresh-mex places are not created equal and it is a huge pet peeve of mine when people claim that they are.

Done rambling.
I think I am gonna go get me some Rio J
I can already taste the chicken salad with cilantro dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment